Duties of Public Health Worker
With the advancements of technology, health
has suffered a setback. No doubt technology has its own benefits but then it
has made us either lazy or robotic. Health is no more at the forefront but
it is at the foremost corner of our mind. HIV/AIDS, chronic disease, cancers
and other perilous diseases are all spreading fast. People are indulging in
unhealthy activities that are decreasing the average life span. The blame
does not entirely lie on technology some is due to our own ignorance as
well. Rural population is deprived from medical help and adequate care. Now
who is going to solve the overall health issues of a community?
This is where public health workers come in.
Public health is a rewarding and altruistic career. Public health workers
perform noble and self sacrificing deeds to bring a greater good in society.
They have many duties towards society. Below are some duties of a public
• Gather data on the client’s social,
emotional and medical needs; discover family assets and resources and make
effective strategies to utilize them.
• Explore community resources, develop and monitor plan to get full
utilization of these resources.
• Provides emotional, financial and physical support to improve the health
standards of a community.
• Educate people on preventive and safety techniques in a society.
• At regular interval, does detailed survey to upgrade the existing health
program of a community.
• Appoint efficient public health nurses for high risk clients.
• Investigate and sort out child abuse and child labor issues in the
• Lecture people in groups to defeat physiology issues of dependency and
disease fright enabling them to get adjusted in life.
• Carry vaccination campaigns in society to minimize disease and disability.
• Manage and organize other workers to give quality service to clients.
• Improve sanitation and water supply in the public.
• Cleans and help develops a green environment.
• Helps in physical and emotional development of a child by educating
parents in these issues.
• Raise funds for the poor, needy, handicap and under privileged people to
get their due share in health facilities.
• Gives counseling to mentally disturbed people of the population and aids
• Prepare people on steps to survive natural disasters and calamities.
Public health worker have an angelic nature
of work provided that they do it honestly. Their duties may vary from place
to place but the main notion is to provide people with facilitates that
improve their health and prevent disease outbreaks at local, state and